"I will live to carry Your compassion, To love a world that's broken, To be Your hands and feet. I will give with the life that I've been given and go beyond religion to see the world be changed, by the power of Your name." - Lincoln Brewster

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2001- The Great Parenting Experiment Began

11 years ago my world was rocked and my life was completely changed for the better. 11 years ago today, I became a Mom. I remember the excitement we felt finding out we were having a baby.  I kept a pregnancy journal and recorded my weight and measurements. I couldn't wait to wear maternity clothes. My good friend Heather was pregnant at the same time and it was so fun comparing bodies and planning for motherhood together.  Clint starting putting headphones on my belly as soon as we knew the baby could hear in the womb at about 16 weeks. The baby was listening to Mozart every night, and then praise music on stage at church every Sunday morning and Sunday night.                                     

Clint and I were living in a little one-bedroom apartment on the side of my parents' house. We put together the crib, got all the clothes ready, put up the mobile and waited. And waited. And waited.   My due date was December 28. I was huge. Every time anyone saw me they would ask, "You haven't had that baby yet?"  We even had to put a message on our answering machine saying, "Leave your name, number, and NO, we have not had the baby yet!"  Finally, on January 3 I was induced.   We brought two outfits to the hospital- one for a girl and one for a boy. Our family was in the waiting room and when Bryce was born at 10:07 am on January 4, our mothers skipped down the hall holding hands to announce to our family," It's a boy!"  The nurses then let everyone back in the delivery room and we all held hands and our minister, John DuBose, said a prayer. Love was overflowing from that room.

It was then that the great parenting experiment began for us- and oh what a journey it has been! He did not sleep in that beautifully prepared crib. In fact, he did not sleep through the night the first month he was home. After that, the only place he would go to sleep at night was in the bouncy seat beside our bed. It was a wonderful year of firsts- smile, bath, teeth, rolling over, shots, pulling up, ear infection, taking steps, bumps & bruises. All those are such cherished memories! How we both have grown and changed since then!

Bryce means "alert & ambitious." He has definitely lived up to his name. He is smart, caring, funny, argumentative, hard-headed, loving, and passionately musical. He keeps me on my toes and has me changing my parenting tactics all the time. On January 14, 2001 we formally dedicated him to the Lord in the presence of our church family. Thank you to all who helped teach him, love him, babysit him, dance and sing with him, march around, pick grass with him, & encourage him thus far.

Ephesians 3:14-21- When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong.  And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.
 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.  Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.


Much love,
Amy


There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. 
There are seven million. 
~Walt Streightiff 

No comments: