"I will live to carry Your compassion, To love a world that's broken, To be Your hands and feet. I will give with the life that I've been given and go beyond religion to see the world be changed, by the power of Your name." - Lincoln Brewster

Friday, January 13, 2012

The $5 Promise

The other day Clint and I had a long discussion about finances. In June, we lost some income since we no longer have our part-time jobs due to FCC & Northridge merging.  We talked about how to bring in extra income, ways to cut back, and things we can do to manage our money better. Money can cause great worry and trepidation- unexpected hospital bills, insurance premiums going up, salary going down because of furloughs, the boys are eating more, they need clothes without holes, they need money for camp, the list goes on and on.  We decided to pray about it for a few weeks and see what doors God would open for us instead of jumping into any hasty decisions.
A few days later I opened my Bible to read some suggested scriptures that were in our church bulletin.  I turned to Deuteronomy 28:1-12, and on that exact page in my Bible were 5  $1 bills. This is what the scripture said:

“If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully keep all his commands that I am giving you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations of the world. 2 You will experience all these blessings if you obey the LORD your God:
3 Your towns and your fields will be blessed.
4 Your children and your crops will be blessed.
  The offspring of your herds and flocks will be blessed.
5 Your fruit baskets and breadboards will be blessed.
6 Wherever you go and whatever you do, you will be blessed.
7 “The LORD will conquer your enemies when they attack you. They will attack you from one direction, but they will scatter from you in seven! 8 “The LORD will guarantee a blessing on everything you do and will fill your storehouses with grain. The LORD your God will bless you in the land he is giving you.
9 “If you obey the commands of the LORD your God and walk in his ways, the LORD will establish you as his holy people as he swore he would do. 10 Then all the nations of the world will see that you are a people claimed by the LORD, and they will stand in awe of you.
11 “The LORD will give you prosperity in the land he swore to your ancestors to give you, blessing you with many children, numerous livestock, and abundant crops. 12 The LORD will send rain at the proper time from his rich treasury in the heavens and will bless all the work you do. You will lend to many nations, but you will never need to borrow from them.

I am sure I put those $1 bills in my Bible for some reason long ago, although I could not remember when or why. But how cool was it that they were on the exact page that contained the promise I so needed to hear at that moment?!?! God was reminding me that He is faithful and He will provide us with the things we need if we keep being obedient and trusting in Him. 

"The LORD will send rain at the proper time"-oh, how difficult it is to trust in God's proper time. I am a planner. I am an organizer.  That day I was in need of being reminded that God is too. His planning and His organization set the universe in motion and He knows what He is doing. Now I will do my part and be obedient to Him as He does what He has promised.

"When the train goes through a tunnel and the world gets dark, do you jump out? 
Of course not.  You sit still and trust the engineer to get you through."
-Corrie ten Boom


Trusting the Engineer,
Amy

No comments: